April 7, 2011

Tremble

So, I'm taking the Tehillim/Mishlei (Psalms/Proverbs) challenge put forth by this blog - to read 5 Psalms and 1 Proverb every day of the month of Nissan. It's been tasty. Ok, let me 'splain - for me, Psalms and sunsets are things I drink in like water, and savor like fishes and spinach (which I love; yes, I'm weird, we covered that a few posts back).

I've also been reading this book, which is utterly delightful and profound, and so, I've had a lot of food for thought these last few days...


Photobucket


Genesis, 2007, דבורה

Today I went back and wrote a song from the words of the 4th Psalm. It's called רגזו / "Rigzu", which means "tremble" and is a terrifically fun word to write in script Hebrew, because the gimel and zayin mirror each other.

So, Tehillim 4:4-6:

ד וּדְעוּ--כִּי-הִפְלָה יי, חָסִיד לוֹ; יי יִשְׁמַע, בְּקָרְאִי אֵלָיו. 4 But know that the LORD hath set apart the godly man as His own; the LORD will hear when I call unto Him.

ה רִגְזוּ, וְאַל-תֶּחֱטָאוּ: אִמְרוּ בִלְבַבְכֶם, עַל-מִשְׁכַּבְכֶם; וְדֹמּוּ סֶלָה. 5 Tremble, and sin not; commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah

ו זִבְחוּ זִבְחֵי-צֶדֶק; וּבִטְחוּ, אֶל-יי. 6 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

There's something really wonderful between the lines of these verses; I see a hint at the nearness of G-d. "Tremble," it says - the awe of Hashem is the beginning of Wisdom. "Be still" and "commune with your own heart upon your bed" - in these verses I hear a call to listen deeply. To what?.. To the presence of G-d within.

But says my mind, G-d doesn't answer me... all I hear is silence.

"יי יִשְׁמַע, בְּקָרְאִי" / "Hashem yishma b'kar'i" says "G-d will hear when I call." However, "בְּ" can mean "in," implying: "G-d will hear; [G-d is] in my cry" - a deeper nearness than imagined... G-d is closer to me than my own body and spirit -Yehuda HaLevi

I can only know this when I am truly present in my own life. So breathe. And listen. ...and tremble...



Photobucket


Genesis, detail, 2007, דבורה

No comments:

Post a Comment